Wednesday 16 October 2013

Artwork Showcase: "Ask Yourself"

"Ask Yourself" 2013.  Hand-pressed linoblock print on wood.  30 x 60 cm,  Image of print 1 of 3.













Earlier this year I was asked to take part in a pop-up exhibition at The Cupcake Gallery here in Cairns so I re-purposed a linoblock print that I had created at Uni and came up with the above image.  This post describes the process behind the artwork.


The project began at Uni when we were asked to create an artwork describing >fear< so I took the opportunity to have a first go at carving a self-portrait in linoblock.  I had been reacquainting myself with the medium in the past year and wanted to further improve my skills in the medium.  With this particular print I chose to go large and used a whole 30 x 30 cm block.  I started with a reference image of myself taken specifically for the project, converted it digitally, and transferred it via carbon transfer.  

Can you smell the fear?

Reference image beside linoblock before carving.

The original intent of the artwork as mentioned before was to illustrate >fear<  In this version of the print I used the common phrase for a freshman at University "OMG! Is it due today?" to reinforce the expression.  As with my previous prints, I went with a pop/stencil art styling of the print to really pare back the lines and to provide easy visual access to the expression for the viewer.  I feel that it was a successful result and really enjoyed creating the work as well as working in the larger size for the first time.  This print also marked the first time I had printed onto wood.  I actually prefer to use wood over paper as there is less of an expectation to get the even print that you would with paper when using a printing press and allows me to hand-press the print and letting the texture of the wood show through the gaps in the solid blocks of colour.

Even the most careful artists sometimes shed blood for their art.

When the call out for a WTF artwork came about, I had not long finished the original artwork so it was fresh in my mind and hanging on the wall in view of my desk.  I thought it was a great chance to take it in a new direction as the expression suited the popular acronym well.  To change the artwork it was a simple process of cutting out the original text and carving a new one.  I chose to use coloured ink for the first time with the new print and used red for the portrait and blue and white for the text of two of them and orange and white for the third.  I printed on wood again for the reasons outlined above and I was really happy with the results of this.  

Overall it was a great learning experience making both versions of this print and linoblock printing continues to be a new favourite medium of mine that I will certainly explore again in the future, especially using colour and wood.  If you would like to purchase a copy of the print or enquire about commissioning a new print, please send an email to info@sandyedgar.com


No comments:

Post a Comment